Sunday, May 11, 2014

Review: This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl

Released: January 28, 2014
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Series: NA
Star Rating: 5 out of 5
Page Amount: 431
Age Group: Young Adult


A collection of the journals, fiction, letters, and sketches of the late Esther Grace Earl, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 16. Photographs and essays by family and friends will help to tell Esther’s story along with an introduction by award-winning author John Green who dedicated his #1 bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars to her.



I'm going to say this now. I am having a difficult time reviewing this book, for the sole reason that the contents of it hit a soft spot in my heart. I am a huge fan of John Green, and it was him who introduced me to Esther Earl. I didn't know Esther while she was alive, although I wish I did. I will never have the opportunity to know who Esther was during her short life here on Earth, but I can celebrate that life just like many other Nerdfighters and John Green fans already do.

For those of you who are wondering who Esther Earl is, she was an active member of Nerdfightaria and was a huge fan of John Green. Have you wondered who the mysterious Esther was who The Fault in Our Stars is dedicated to? You've found her.

John Green wrote the introduction to this book, and Esther's parents, Lori and Wayne Earl, wrote little snippets throughout the novel and at the end, but this is Esther's book. Esther was an aspiring author but unfortunately, cancer won before she had the chance. And although Esther will never get to experience becoming a published author, she is now. I can not describe the feelings I have when I think about this. Because of Esther's parents and John Green, they have made Esther's dreams possible when she couldn't.

This book had me crying from the first page. John Green opened up the book and I don't think anybody could have done justice to Esther's beautiful life like he did. Like I said, before I even flipped the first page I was bawling. You could tell that John really admired Esther and an incredible amount of emotion was seeping through his words. I also found myself sobbing during Wayne's parts specifically. Esther and Wayne really did have a special bond and you could feel this father's love for his passed child.

Although I never met Esther Earl, or knew of her while she was fighting her battle, she is no doubt one of the most beautiful souls I have ever been aware of. I hope that this review did this novel justice, because that is my worst fear. Despite being so emotionally attached to Esther (even previous to reading this book), I really did enjoy it for it's beauty and not just because of Esther.

No comments:

Post a Comment