Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review: Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti

Released: May 4th, 2010
Published by: Viking Juvenile
Series: Stand Alone Novel
Overall Rating: 2 out of 5
Source: Present From Family Member
Page Amount: 268
School Rating: D+ (59%)
Age Group: Young Adult Fiction

Best friends Lani and Erin couldn't be more different. Lani's reserved and thoughtful; Erin's bubbly and outgoing. Lani likes to do her own thing; Erin prefers an entourage. There's no possible way they could be interested in the same guy.

So when Erin starts dating Jason, Lani can't believe she feels such a deep connection with him and it may be mutual. The more Lani fights it, the more certain she feels that it's her fate to be with Jason. But what do you do when the love of your life is the one person you can't have?


First Line:

I never meant for it to happen like this.”


Review:

I was not impressed with this novel. Not at all. I was hesitant before going into this novel because I have been warned by more than one person that it wasn’t the greatest read. If you remember (you probably don’t), I read and reviewed THE UNWRITTEN RULE by Elizabeth Scott a while back. This book is almost like a carbon copy of that novel, and they were released within the same month. Anyways…

This novel was very high school cliché. Don’t get me wrong, contemporary novels are probably my favourite out of the whole YA genre, but this was just too high school cliché.

Although I read this novel very fast, I felt as though it was really boring in a lot of places, as though the author put the scene in there just for word count purposes only. I think this novel could have been better if she took out those boring scenes and put more important things to help build the plot a bit more.

I really wish I liked this novel, I really do. I think I will pick up another one of Susane’s novels, just to give them a chance. Maybe it was just that I read THE UNWRITTEN RULE before this novel and I found it as though they were almost the same novel. I think I may have liked it a bit more if I hadn’t read that novel before this one.

Cover Comments:

Oddly enough, I really love this novel’s cover. I think its very simple, yet girly and fit’s the novel perfectly.

Love,

Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment