Sunday, January 23, 2011

Review: The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

Released: March 16th, 2010
Published by: Simon Pulse
Series: Stand Alone Title
Overall Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Christmas Present
Page Amount: 224
Age Group Recommend: Young Adult



He's looking at me like—well, like he wants to look at me.

Like he likes what he sees, and he's smiling and his eyes are so blue, even in the faint flow of the porch light they shine, and I nod dumbly, blindly, and then grope for the door handle, telling myself to look away and yet not able to do it.

"Sarah," he says, softly, almost hesitantly, and my heart slam-bangs, beating hard, and this is what it's like to want someone you can't have. To want someone you shouldn't even be looking at.


THE UNWRITTEN RULE is a fresh change to the fantasy-esc books that I have been reading lately.

The plot wasn’t crazy original, but original enough that I haven’t read a book on the same subject. BUT, I have heard of books with the same plot-line.

The protagonist, Sarah, was a VERY likable character, since I could relate to her in more ways than one. I knew Brianna wasn’t a good friend from the start, so I never really liked her. She was also very one-dimensional to me, like how she didn’t have much of a personality. Ryan is the type of guy that you can’t help but fall for. So, this book was filled with mostly really good characters, but there is always that one bad character that throws it off.

I am going to skip over the problem and solution, because that would include spoilers.

I really enjoyed Elizabeth’s writing style. It reminded me a lot of my all-time favourite author’s writing styles, like Sarah Dessen and Deb Caletti. Since I haven’t read one of their books in a long time, to was nice to read an author whose writing style is very similar.

Sarah didn’t change that much during the duration of the novel, but she did learn some lessons throughout the novel.

The cover, the cover. This is were a lot of books get picked on, it seems with me, but I actually like this cover. Its not one of my favourites, but it is very nice. It is also a refreshment to all of the covers with the model’s face in it.

I LOVED the ending of this novel, it ended up just the way I wanted it. I am not going to say anymore because I would be spoiling it.

The beginning was very slow in this novel, which was the main reason it took me so long to get through. Once you get past the first three quarters, though, it is very fast-paced and you could get through it.

This novel was very good overall, and it is definitely one you should pick up!

Plot 8/10
Like able Characters 9/10
Problem Development 10/10
Solution Effectiveness 10/10
Writing Style 10/10
Character Development 6/10
Cover 9/10
Setting 10/10
Ending 10/10
Beginning 6/10
=
88%

Love,

Sierra

1 comment:

  1. I just read the book, I enjoyed reading your review, here's mine: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-unwritten-rule-by-elizabeth-scott.html

    Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete