Sunday, October 17, 2010

Review: Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

Three teens who have attempted suicide meet in a psychiatric hospital, battle their demons, and begin to heal.

The handsome son of wealthy parents, Connor has everything anyone could want-except his family's love and affection. Jailed for years after killing his mother's child-molesting boyfriend, Tony is confused about his sexuality. Manic-depressive Vanessa cuts herself. All three stories intertwine in a brutally honest story about pain and resilience.

Released: January 23rd, 2007
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry
Series: Impulse, 1
Overall Rating: 4 out of 5
Page Amount: 666

Plot 8/10
Likable Characters 8/10
Problem Development 9/10
Solution Effectiveness 9/10
Writing Style 10/10
Character Development 10/10
Cover 10/10
Setting 9/10
Ending 10/10
Beginning 7/10
=
90%

I am going to try something a little different in this review. I will try a different format than any other review I have done. Just read and see.

IMPULSE by Ellen Hopkins was one of those books that you truly really didn’t expect to pick up at that certain moment. I picked it up when my local Wal-Mart was having their anniversary sale going on. We had just happened to go in there because my sister was looking for a new keyboard for her laptop. I had to look at the book section, to see if there was any books that just happened to be there that I really wanted to get (this has happened before) and I saw that most of the books had a red sticker on them. Some of them said 2 for 15, some said 2 for 20, and some said 2 for 30. I was stoked. I saw Impulse on the shelf, and that was the first one I picked up.

I have read CRANK and GLASS by Ellen Hopkins, and I knew that I wanted to read more of her work. So when I saw IMPULSE on the shelf, I knew that I needed to get it.

IMPULSE was a wonderful novel. I will say, though, that it is not a favourite of mine, but I still really liked it.

The whole suicidal teens thing has been done before, but Ellen Hopkins has done it in a different way than any other suicide novel that I have ever read before. With her writing in verse, it just pulled it another level that I never thought any author could pull it before, until I read IMPULSE.

I do believe that there is another book in the series, but at the moment I can’t think of the name, but the way Ellen finished off this novel, it was the perfect way to end a novel that has another/a series book after it. It’s not a total cliff hanger, but it leaves you wondering what is going to happen next.

I loved this novel, and I hope you guys enjoy it just as much as I did.

Love,
Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment