Thursday, September 9, 2010

Author Interview with Julie Kagawa!

Hey guys, I have a new interview for you guys! This time, Julie Kagawa, the author of the Iron Fey Series, was nice enough to answer a few questions for me, so, Iron King fans, I hope you enjoy.

*Warning, some of the things included in this interview is placed under the category of spoilers. Please, I warn you, if you don't want to know what happens, please do not continue reading this interview.*


What was your inspiration to write, The Iron King?


Faeries, the old, ancient fey, not the glittery winged sprites, have always fascinated me. But I wanted to write a book that was different than other faery books. So I began thinking: what are the fey afraid of? The answer, in most ancient mythos, is iron. Faeries can't stand the touch of iron and steel. So, what if there was a new type of fey that had evolved with progress over the years? What if they weren't only immune to iron, their existence was slowly poisoning and corrupting the lands of the traditional fey? And I realized we already have “monsters” in machines: gremlins, bugs, viruses, ect. And from that thought, the Iron fey were born.




2. How long did it take you to write The Iron King?


A little less then two months. I did the first draft for NaNo WriMo, where you have to write 50,000 words in 30 days.


3. How long did it take you to write The Iron Daughter?


A bit longer then Iron King, about 5 months.


4. In your own words, summarize The Iron King.


A young girl must rescue her brother from faeries. Along the way, she discovers her own faery heritage, falls in love with a dark prince of the Unseelie court, and faces an ancient evil bent on destroyed everything she now holds dear.

5. Other than the Iron Fey series, are there any other novels you would like to write?


At the moment, I'm getting ready to start a new series about vampires. After that, who knows?


6. All the covers of the Iron Fey series are beautiful. Did you have any say in the cover of these novels?


Lol, my only input when I saw the covers were “ooh, pretty!” and that was about it.


7. Why did you pick the name Megan for you main character?


I was going through a baby name site for a name for my protagonist. None of them seemed to fit until I came upon “Meghan” and thought: that's perfect.


8. What is your favourite colour?


Black.


9. How long was the publishing cycle for you?


About 18 months. That's how long it took from the time Harlequin Teen made the offer, to see The Iron King on the shelves. It seems like a long time, but its actually pretty normal.


10. What was your biggest dream when you started writing?


To be published. To walk into a store and see my book on the shelves. Guess you can say I'm living the dream now.


11. What gave you the idea for the Iron that the Megan is immune to but the faeries are not?


In most myths and legends, faeries have a weakness to cold iron. As a half-human, Meghan is protected from those effects.


12. Thank you so much for the interview. One last question, what is your biggest advice for aspiring authors?


Persist, persist, persist. Keep writing, and never give up.

Thank you so much, Julie! I had so much fun thinking up questions to ask you. I can't wait to read the Iron Daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment