Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Iron King By Julie Kagawa

Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.

Released: January 21st, 2010
Published by: Harlequin Teen
Series: The Iron Fey, Book One
Page Amount: 363 Pages

Plot 10/10
Likable Characters 10/10
Problem Development 10/10
Solution Effectiveness 10/10
Writing Style 8/10
Character Development 10/10
Cover 10/10
Setting 10/10
Ending 10/10
Beginning 3/10
=
91%

Plot: I loved the idea for this book. The plot is so unqiue, I have never heard of any book like this one before. Usually I would never read a book with this type of plot, but I have improved myself and I have been reading different kinds of genres other than relistic ficton. I would have never touched this book before.

Likable Characters: Meghan and (espacially) Ethan were very likable. The other characters were likable too, though. Robbie was the epic prankster best friend, but then Ash was the romantic prince that everybody (well, everybody half decent) should swoon over. There were some unlikable characters, like there are in all books, but you get past that part, because they were part of the problem that Meghan has to get over.

Problem Development: The problem developed at a nice pase, which I liked. The problem was introduced at the beggining, and it flowed at just the right pase all throughout the book.

Soullition Effectiveness: I loved the ending, and I just can't wait for The Iron Daughter. Anybody who fell in love with Ethan will love the ending.

Writing Style: Although Kagawa's writing style is not one of my favourites, it wasn't like it wasn't toleretable. Julie describes her setting without it being too boring. It's in depth, amazing, and makes you want to read more. The dialoge was belivable, which I loved, because in some books the dialoge sounds like somthing that a real person would not say in real life.

Character development: Meghan developed as a character so nicely, she became stronger by the end and she was so much different from the small town, farm house girl she was at the beggining of the story. Her experiance that she went through in the Nevernever made her stronger as a person, at least I think.

Cover: This cover is beautiful! It is not the best cover I have seen, but I have to say that it is breathtaking! I love how on the bridge of her nose there are tree branches and they all kind of flow to the crese of her eye. I love the font that The Iron King is written in and overall it is just breathtaking!

Setting: The Nevernever sounds like a beautiful place. From the way Kagawa described it, It sounds like The Cronicles of Narnia, which is kind of cool in a way, even though I hated The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (the only Cronicles of Narnia book I have ever read). But the Nevernever is a more beautiful version Narnia. Instead of witches and fauns, there are fearies and kings.

Ending: The ending was beautiful, and I can not wait for The Iron Daughter! It leaves you hanging, and I can't wait to see what happens to Meghan, Ash, and Robbie!

Beggining: I Hated the beggining of this book. Pure and utter torture if I do say so myself. Although some people may have not thought it was as bad as I thought, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Overall, I have got to say, I am very impressed with this book!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing I got this one for christmas! Great review too.
    Please check out my blog(:
    http://lovelylilbookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete