Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb























Released:
September 1st, 2005
Published by: Graphia
Series: -
Page Amount: 282





Plot 8/10
Likable Characters 9/10
Problem Development 7/10
Solution Effectiveness 10/10
Writing Style 10/10
Character Development 9/10
Cover 9/10
Setting 3/10
Ending 10/10
Beginning 6/10
=
81%
d


In the class of the high school English teacher she has been haunting, Helen feels them: For the first time in 130 years, human eyes are looking at her. They belong to a boy, a boy who has not seemed remarkable until now. And Helen--terrified, but intrigued--is drawn to him. The fact that he is in a body and she is not presents this unlikely couple with their first challenge. But as the lovers struggle to find a way to be together, they begin to discover the secrets of their former lives and of the young people they come to possess.

Review:

I can honestly full-heartily say that this book was very enjoyable. This book was well written, and was beautiful.

Plot: I think this plot was very original, and I have never read anything like it before. I still think that maybe it was missing some key points and that maybe Whitcomb could have added a little more detail or action in some places.

Likable Characters: This book was filled with likable characters, but there were characters, like Mr. Brown, that I think I was meant to like him, but I honestly didn't that much.

Problem Development: I liked the way that the problem developed in this book, but the problem wasn't always obvious through out the book, which I didn't like how you didn't always knew what the problem was half the time.

Solution Effectiveness: I loved the ending even though I think that Laura wanted it to be more tragic that it actually was for me.

Writing Style: Whitcomb's writing style is absolutely beautiful, I was mesmerized at how beautifully written this book was. Whitcomb's beautiful use of detail kept me turning the page, craving so much more.

Character Development: I think Helen grew up very amazingly during the course of this novel.

Cover: I think this cover is very creepy, which is why it only got a nine out of ten, because I usually am not a fan for creepy covers. But I also think this cover is beautiful.

Setting: They never really said where this book was placed (like the state or whatever) but Whitcomb described what was around the characters beautifully without it being too overwhelming with detail.

Ending: I thought that the ending of this novel was beautiful. I think Whitcomb wrote it with the intentions of the ending of this book to be tear-jerking tragic. I didn't think of it that way, but I do think it was beautiful.

Beginning: The beginning of this book was really slow, but I don't think it was horrible or anything.

I really liked this book! I defiantly recommend this book for all of you to read!


No comments:

Post a Comment