Monday, July 26, 2010

Author Interview With Emma Michaels!


Yes, everybody, I got my answers from Emma Michaels! Here is our interview!

1. Your Novel, The Thirteenth Chime, has been getting a lot of positive feedback for a book that has yet to be released, is this your debut novel?


A) Yes, this is my debut novel. I've been very fortunate so far in the marketing that Bokheim and my fellow bloggers have helped me so much! I am also very grateful to the support of bloggers and blog readers. So many of you have sent me personal notes or gave me encouragement - thank you! It means so much to me!


2. I understand that your book is going to be released Friday, August 13th. Why did you choose to release your book on Friday the Thirteen, when that day has been having rumours of bad luck for years?


A) Some believe it is a day of bad omens or ill luck, while others believe it is a day of good luck. It really depends on where you live and what you believe. I asked for the release date because I felt it fits the concept of the book


3. What can you tell us readers about The Thirteenth Chime?


A) Here is a fun teaser from one of the trailers:


Destiny has finally found the life that she has always wanted.
She is about to finish college, has a fiancé that loves her, and a great summer on the West Coast planned with her friend, Stephanie.
But her world is turned upside down when an antique clock mysteriously chimes thirteen times and someone attacks them, sending Stephanie and her mother to the hospital.
Alone, and without any help from the police, Destiny has no choice but to turn to the one man she had left behind a year ago - her ex-boyfriend, David.
Together, they must solve the riddle of the thirteenth chime before the clock strikes thirteen again.
Yet as they face their own past and hearts, a trap over half a century old is waiting for them to become its prey.
For revenge, fifty years is never too long…


4. Were you a reader as a child?


A) Yes, although it wasn't until I was given my first YA novel that it really hit me how much I loved to read. After those first few pages though, I was unstoppable.


5. What gave you the inspiration to write The Thirteenth Chime?


A) I had the inspiration for the book shortly after coming to Washington one night during a bad storm that knocked the power out in my area. We went next door to share a few candles and for the company. Thunder shook the house as lightning flashed, lighting up the room we were in even through the draperies. Then the the sky was silent. The silence made my breath catch and in the next moment, the antique grandfather clock in the house began to chime. The sound echoed throughout the house and made my heart jump into my throat. I unconsciously reached out to hold someone's hand, desiring to feel a bond, and it was in that moment that "The Thirteenth Chime" was born.


6. Your cover is absolutely gorgeous, did you have a say in the cover?


A) Fortunately, I had a lot to say in the cover. Not only did my publisher hear me out on my ideas for the cover, but they found the perfect artist for it and with just a few revisions, it came out the amazing piece that is now the cover. I am very happy with it and I feel it fits the book perfectly!


7. Do you believe in giving ARCs to book reviewers before the book is released?


A) Yes I do and I've been suggesting various groups to my publisher. Although Bokheim has mostly been giving out e-Arcs, they have also been giving out a select number of print copies too.


8. What is your favourite colour and why?


A) Pink. I know it is a bit stereotypical, but I am a girl so it's allowed. Though I love shades like black, white and gray.


9. Do you have any children? If so, what are their names and how old are they? If not, do you want to have kids in the future?


A) Oh goodness no, I'm only twenty. I do sometimes think about having kids and I absolutely adore children. I haven't decided for sure yet, but my fiance is open to it so that is a good sign!


10. What was your biggest dream when you started writing?


A) To get published and to the top of the "New York Times Bestseller's List". Number 1 - check! Now it's time for Number 2! :-)


11. How fast was the publishing cycle for you?


A) The road to get published took me about six months. I received well over a hundred standard form rejections from agents who didn't even ask to read a sample of my work. Then I began querying publishers directly at the suggestion of a dear friend. What a difference! Once I made my decision which publisher I would go with, things began moving very quickly. Some of this was due to the requests I made about the release date, but it has all worked out great in the end. I am very happy and I hope everyone will enjoy reading the book as much as I enjoyed writing it!


12. Thank you so much for the interview. One last question, what advice do you have for aspiring authors?


A) Please don't ever give up! I know it can be disappointing and very frustrating because agents treat you like a business and publishers sometimes seem to not be accepting new submissions, but it only takes one chance for everything to come together. It is my hope that I will get to read and enjoy your books as much as I hope you will read and enjoy mine!

Thank you so much for the interview and for helping me spread the word! Thank you to everyone reading! I hope you all will love The Thirteenth Chime!

Thank you so much Emma for the interview! I am sure you will make it to the New York Times Bestsellers List no problem! I can't wait for the Thirteenth Chime!

1 comment: